tlhIngan-Hol Archive: Wed Apr 25 10:54:20 2007

RE: yuQ'e' DablaHbogh vay' tu'lu'pu''a'?

Steven Boozer ([email protected])

Voragh:
> > Subject: yuQ'e' DablaHbogh vay' tu'lu'pu''a'?
> >
> > I got stuck on "habitable" -- *{DablaHbogh} or *{yInlaHbogh}?

DloraH:
>Wouldn't yIn need a locative?  With Dab the location is the direct object.

Agreed.  I was just wondering which was the appropriate verb.  At first I
chose {Dab} "inhabit, reside in/at, dwell in/at" but now I'm leaning toward
{yIn} "live, survive" -- particularly in view of {yInSIp} "oxygen",
{yInroH} "life signs", {yIntagh} "life-support system" and, especially,
{yoq yIn yuQ} "class-M planet" (lit. "humanoid life planet") from SkyBox S27:

   yoq yIn yuQ 'oH Qo'noS'e'.  yInSIp voQSIp je ngaS muDDaj.
   Qo'noS is a class-M planet with an oxygen/nitrogen atmosphere. S27

So it now becomes:

   yoq yIn yuQ tu'lu'pu''a'?
   "Potentially Habitable Planet Found"

This is a good headline as it stands, but I'd prefer to get the idea of
*potentially* habitable across.  Using {chaq} "perhaps, may be" would
modify the verb:

   chaq yoq yIn yuQ tu'lu'pu'
   class-M planet may have been found

however the question is not whether Gliese 581c has been discovered, but
whether it can support life.

Ideas?

--
Voragh