tlhIngan-Hol Archive: Mon Apr 16 09:32:42 2007

Re: Klingon WOTD: qImHa' (verb)

Steven Boozer ([email protected])

>This is the Klingon Word Of The Day for Sunday, April 15, 2007.
>
>Klingon word:   qImHa'
>Part of Speech: verb
>Definition:     disregard

Never used in canon.

Discussed by Okrand:

   The verb {Dach} literally means "be absent", but when applied
   to a person who is obviously present or otherwise accounted for,
   it is usually interpreted to mean that the person's mind has
   wandered. It does not mean "absent-minded", which involves
   forgetfulness. Rather, it means that the person is, for whatever
   reason, not focusing on the task at hand. Nonslang equivalents
   are {qImHa'} ("not pay attention") and {buSHa'} ("not focus [on],
   ignore"). (KGT 149)

>Antonyms: qIm

i.e. "pay attention"

Used in canon:

HeDaj yIqIm!
Track her course! ST5

yIqIm, yIbuS
Pay attention and concentrate! CK

qIm tera'ngan
Attention Earther! (KCD bumper sticker)

jIqIm
I pay attention. KGT

jemS tIy qIrq.  loDHom jIHDI' qIrq qun vIqImchoH.
James T. Kirk. I've followed his history since I was a boy. (ST5 notes)

Related verbs:

{Qub} think; {bop} be (all) about something; {qel} "take into account,
consider"; {buS} "concentrate on, focus on, think only about": {SIv}
wonder; {vuQ} fascinate

--
Voragh
Ca'Non Master of the Klingons