tlhIngan-Hol Archive: Thu Nov 16 04:43:03 2006

Re: Dilbert Comic in Klingon for November 1

pm5 ([email protected])

On 11/15/06, Steven Boozer <[email protected]> wrote:
> A more verb-oriented approach (with a different translation for "marketing
> department"):
>
>    DaQaH 'e' tlhob mechmeH 'ay'
>    the "trading section" requested (that) you help it/them

My question was a bit vague.  Sorry for that.  I was asking
should one says

    {DaQaH 'e' tlhob} "they ask that you help them"

or is it

    {DaQaH tlhob} "they ask you to help them"

or both are correct?  TKD says for verbs of saying {'e'} is not
used, but only gives an example for {ja'}.  I think there are {jatlh},
{tlhob} and {ghel} that counts as "verb of saying", though using
this construct with {ghel} seems very weird.

    Similarly, with verbs of saying (<say, tell, ask,> etc.), {'e'} and
   {net} are not used. The two phrases simply follow one another,
   in either order.

      {qaja'pu' HIqaghQo'}
   or {HIqaghQo' qaja'pu'} <I told you not to interrupt me.> [TKD p.67]

pm5

Back to archive top level