tlhIngan-Hol Archive: Fri Nov 10 09:51:35 2006

RE: transitivity

Steven Boozer ([email protected])

Voragh wrote:
> >    jIghung je
> >    I am also hungry. PK
> >
> > {je} applies to the verb:  hungry in addition to thirsty
> >
> >    jI'oj je
> >    I am also thirsty. PK
> >
> > {je} applies to the verb:  thirsty in addition to hungry

DloraH:
>I take the joke as <je> applying to the subject.  "I am hungry/thirsty
>also, in addition to you."  He was replying to the prisoner saying he
>was hungry/thirsty.

So you see no difference between {jIghung je} "I'm also thirsty, I'm
thirsty too" (which are ambiguous in English) and {jIghung jIH je} "I, too,
am thirsty" other than the emphasized pronoun?

--
Voragh
Ca'Non Master of the Klingons

Back to archive top level