tlhIngan-Hol Archive: Tue May 30 17:05:12 2006

Re: Brainfart question (so dumb it should be KLBC)

In a message dated 5/30/2006 2:52:11 PM Central Standard Time,
[email protected] writes:

> Shane wrote:
>
> >could "qaneH" be used as present tense or only future tense?
>
> Both.  As well as past tense.
>
> Klingon does not mark grammatical tense, only aspect.  Which English tense
> you use to translate the Klingon depends on the context:
>
>    qaneH
>    I wanted you. I want you. I will want you.
>
>    qaneHpu'
>    I had wanted you. I have wanted you. I will have wanted you.
>
>    qaneHtaH
>    I used to want you. I still want you. I will continue to want you.
>
>    etc.
>

> --
> Voragh

Context (accompanying speech/text) and setting (external environment) are the
big determiners here.  If there is no context, then setting determines the
time/tense.  If there is neither context nor setting, then a default should
apply, depending on the particular verb.  In this case ({qaneH}), it makes sense
for the default to be present tense.
In other words, of the time adverbials that could be used with {qaneH}, {DaH}
should be chosen before {wa'Hu'} or {wa'leS} when no context or setting
determines otherwise.

lay'tel SIvten

Back to archive top level