tlhIngan-Hol Archive: Tue May 23 03:05:05 2006

Re: DIvI' Hol mughmeH: any more

QeS 'utlh ([email protected])

jIghItlhpu', jIja':
>It depends on what sort of action one is talking about, I suppose. For
>verbs describing states of being without an easily definable beginning
>and end, like {Doq} or {parHa'} (as you point out), {-choH} is definitely
>the better choice. However, for actions like hitting or eating which can
>be clearly temporally defined, {-qa'be'}, or even {-qa'Qo'}, works fine:

mujangpu' Voragh, ja':
>Not sure I agree.  I suppose the best available answer is - as it is so
>frequently in Klingon - context, context, context!

Indeed. {{:) I didn't mean to imply that {-qa'} would necessarily be
preferable to {-choH} in these situations, merely that sometimes it can be
another option.

>I do like this use of {ret} "period of time ago" for "used to", but
>unfortunately I don't think we can use it like this without a "specific
>time unit":

Interesting, particularly in view of the canon you cite. It'd be a shame not
to be able to do this, particularly since {ret} and {pIq} as timestamps seem
to be the simplest way of positioning an action WRT what we'd call "tense",
and also seems a very neat way of dealing with the "used to" of English.
Although I suppose using {Hu'} and {ben} on their own are somewhat jarring;
what do we do about something like {ben voDleH mangghom vItlhej}? While the
English "in years past, I would accompany the Emperor's army" jumps
instantly to mind, I'm really not sure that's what the Klingon is saying,
even if it were grammatical.

QeS 'utlh
tlhIngan Hol yejHaD pabpo' / Grammarian of the Klingon Language Institute

not nItoj Hemey ngo' juppu' ngo' je
     - Ubykh Hol vIttlhegh

New year, new job ? there's more than 100,00 jobs at SEEK
http://a.ninemsn.com.au/b.aspx?URL=http%3A%2F%2Fninemsn%2Eseek%2Ecom%2Eau&_t=752315885&_r=Jan05_tagline&_m=EXT

Back to archive top level