tlhIngan-Hol Archive: Mon May 15 07:57:31 2006

Re: Klingon WOTD: qogh (noun)

Steven Boozer ([email protected])

>This is the Klingon Word Of The Day for Monday, May 15, 2006.
>
>Klingon word:   qogh
>Part of Speech: noun
>Definition:     belt
>
>Additional Notes:
>KGT p. 58: A skin belt ({qogh}) both held pants ({yopwaH}) in place and
>provided a place from which to hang weapons or weapon holders.

   The disruptor pistol, when not in use, may be carried in a holster,
   or {vaH}, worn on the side of the body and attached to the belt.
   (KGT 56)

   When not in use, knives are carried in sheathes worn on the side of
   the body, connected to the belt. The word for this sheath is {vaH},
   the same as the word for holster but surely representing an older
   meaning of the term. (KGT 63)

>Homonyms:
>     qogh (noun) - ear (external, cartilaginous flap)

   {qogh} "ear", of course is homophonous with {qogh}, "belt". When
   used in context, there is seldom confusion; less so when the plural
   is used ({qoghDu'} can only be "ears" while {qoghmey} generally means
   "belts"). This homophony explains why the Klingon slang expression
   {qogh tuQmoHHa'}, literally "take off one's belt" is used to mean
   "to not hear", for example, {qogh vItuQmoHHa'pu'} "I've taken off
   my belt; your secret is safe with me."          [HolQeD 2.4]

--
Voragh
Ca'Non Master of the Klingons

Back to archive top level