tlhIngan-Hol Archive: Mon May 15 07:38:34 2006

Re: Klingon WOTD: le' (verb)

Steven Boozer ([email protected])

>This is the Klingon Word Of The Day for Sunday, May 14, 2006.
>
>Klingon word:   le'
>Part of Speech: verb
>Definition:     be special, exceptional

As used in canon:

   tlhIngan jabbI'ID le'
   Special Klingon issue (STC)

   puqloDwI' le'qu', Hoch jaj choquvmoH
   My dearest son, each day you redeem me. (Frasier)

Cf. {motlhbe'} "be unusual" and {pup} "be perfect, be exact".

>Antonyms: le'be'

"be unexceptional, be nonspecific (KGT), be general"

As used in canon:

   nav HablI' le'be'
   general FAX [machine]

   Since my office is in a different building from the company
   reception desk I prefer to give people the number of the fax
   machine closest to my desk. I put both numbers on the letter-
   head, labeling them in English "Klingon fax" and "general fax".
   Dr. Okrand suggested {le'be'} for "general", and so of course
   that's what I used. (Mark Mandel; cf. Okrand in HQ 5.2)

Cf. also {lo' law'} "utility" (KBoP) [i.e. "general purpose": lit.
"many/multi-use") and {motlh} "be usual, be normal, be standard (S14)".

--
Voragh
Ca'Non Master of the Klingons

Back to archive top level