tlhIngan-Hol Archive: Mon May 01 07:39:49 2006

Re: KLBC

Terrence Donnelly ([email protected]) [KLI Member]

--- QeS 'utlh <[email protected]> wrote:

> ghItlhpu' ter'eS, ja':
> >Sometimes the adverbs augment each other, as in
> {DaHjaj po
> >jIvum} 'I get up this morning' (literally 'today in
> the morning'.
>
> {vum} is "to work", not "to get up". The verb "get
> up" is {Hu'}.

HIvqa' veqlargh.

> Also, {DaHjaj} is not an adverb, but a noun, and
> {DaHjaj po} is a noun-noun
> construction acting as a time stamp: "today's
> morning". I'm not sure that
> true adverbs can modify each other; I know of no
> canon evidence either way.

I never said that adverbs modify each other; I said
that you can have multiple adverbs each modifying
the verb.

I would also argue that all timestamps are adverbial
in function, regardless of the original part of
speech of their elements. I also understand
{DaHjaj po} to be two separate timestamps: 'today'
and 'in the morning'.

-- ter'eS

Back to archive top level