tlhIngan-Hol Archive: Mon May 01 00:14:49 2006

Re: I wonder who's kissing her now?

QeS 'utlh ([email protected])

jIghItlhpu', jIja':
>Okrand's further clarification seems to indicate that {SIv} "to wonder"
>would probably be better glossed as "to wonder (about), to be curious
>about,
>to ponder". If this is the case, we could answer Okrand's own question
>about
>"I wonder who's kissing her now" with something like {DaH ghaH chopbogh
>vay''e' vISIv} "I wonder about the (some)one who is biting her now" works -
>which I see no reason to reject.

mujang taD, ja':
>Based on the Okrand quote, we could say: {DaH ghaH chop vay' 'e' vISIv} "I
>wonder (that/if/whether) someone is biting her now"
>But since Okrand mentions the pronoun {'e'}, and you're using only the noun
>suffix {-'e'}, I'm not sure if {DaH ghaH chopbogh vay''e' vISIv} is
>grammatical.

As you point out, I suppose it depends on whether {SIv} can sensibly take a
noun, as opposed to a full sentence, as an object.

>Fortunately, your original sentence "I wonder if he realises how lucky he
>is" matches the construction [S 'e' V], so you just need to figure out how
>to translate sentence S "He realizes how lucky he is". I probably would
>just recast it as "He realizes that he is very lucky".

Yep, that was what I was thinking:

{Do'qu' 'e' tlhoj 'e' vISIv} "I wonder if he realises that he is very
lucky".

QeS 'utlh
tlhIngan Hol yejHaD pabpo' / Grammarian of the Klingon Language Institute

not nItoj Hemey ngo' juppu' ngo' je
     - Ubykh Hol vIttlhegh

15,000 Velocity Points Velocity NAB Credit Card
http://a.ninemsn.com.au/b.aspx?URL=http%3A%2F%2Fadsfac%2Enet%2Flink%2Easp%3Fcc%3DNAT030%2E23080%2E0%26clk%3D1%26creativeID%3D34301&_t=754983092&_r=emailtagline&_m=EXT

Back to archive top level