tlhIngan-Hol Archive: Mon Mar 20 10:04:46 2006

Re: HUGs and Poking. KLBC

Steven Boozer ([email protected])

Shane MiQogh wrote:
> > How would some one go to say "Poke" instead of "touch"? Would we
> > leave it as an english verb? Or would we have to use them as nouns
> > to say "She gave me a poke on the shoulder"

ghunchu'wI':
>I'd say {volchaHwIjDaq SIqta' ghaH} "She has used her index finger at
>my shoulder."  Perhaps add {pe'vIl} "forcefully" at the beginning, if
>you want to imply a sharp poke rather than a more gentle tap.

Also don't forget {-qu'}.  With qualities (e.g. "be X") it's usually
translated as "very" ("be very X"), but with action verbs it emphasizes or
intensifies the action.  In this case, I'm thinking of {qIp} "hit" vs.
{qIpqu'} "hit hard" in

   tIqIpqu' 'ej nom tIqIp
   Hit them hard and hit them fast. TKW

Putting {-qu'} on {Hot} "touch, feel" we get:

   volchaHwIj Hotqu' ghaH
   she poked (jabbed) my shoulder

   muHotqu' ghaH
   she poked (jabbed) me