tlhIngan-Hol Archive: Sun Mar 19 16:57:48 2006

Re: Cute/Adorable KLBC (again)

Shane MiQogh ([email protected])

I never thought of takin' that approach. And you're right, slightly held would be more of a hug and slight touch would be more of a poke... or slight push with the finger would also be a poke... I guess it is a little more flexable than given... Just takin' a bit to get used to, cause klingon itself has a really really small vocabulary list compared to even french or german or russian..
QeS 'utlh <[email protected]> wrote:  You're getting so hung up on what it is that Klingon can't do that you
haven't even explored what it is it *can* do. To take your previous example:

> QIH (if augumented) To level or obliviate
> QIH (dimunitive) to stun

The suffix {-qu'} emphasises or intensifies the action given by a verb:
{qach QIHqu'} "he razed the building to the ground, he very much destroyed
the building". Conversely, the adverb {loQ} "slightly, a little bit" serves
this purpose just fine: {loQ qach QIH} "he slightly damaged the building, he
superficially damaged the building". No new words involved, and your idea is
communicated successfully.

 Yahoo! Mail