tlhIngan-Hol Archive: Fri Jul 07 08:46:32 2006

Re: Klingon WOTD: beqpuj (noun)

Steven Boozer ([email protected])

>This is the Klingon Word Of The Day for Friday, July 7, 2006.
>
>Klingon word:   beqpuj
>Part of Speech: noun
>Definition:     type of mineral, [bekpuj] (orange in color)
>
>Additional Notes:
>KGT p. 82.  If more specificity is necessary, the item in question is
>generally compared to something else that typically has a particular
>color.  For example, {Doq 'ej beqpuj rur} means "(it) is {Doq} and
>resembles [bekpuj]," a common mineral that is bright orange.

Although {beqpuj} begins with {beq-}, I suspect this might be a variation
of {beQ} "be flat" since {beq} means "crew(man)".  Another known mineral is
{cha'puj} "dilithium" which also ends in {-puj} - probably an unknown
geology-related morpheme with no relation to {puj} "be weak".

Related nouns are {tlhIl} "mineral", {tlhIlHal} "mine" and {tlhIlwI'} "miner".

A related verb is {tlhIl} "mine".

--
Voragh
Ca'Non Master of the Klingons