tlhIngan-Hol Archive: Sat Jan 28 13:54:33 2006

Re: squeamish

In a message dated 1/28/2006 12:18:57 PM Central Standard Time,
[email protected] writes:

> Any klingon word close to "squeamish"??
>
> As usual, I don't need just a word; anything that can describe the idea a
> little is okay. Maybe it's just too late tonight or I'm tired or just blind
> not finding the right word.
>
> The entire sentence reads "They knew how squeamish we were."
> So if there were a verb, I'd say {ma*** 'e' luSov chaH}
>
> But maybe I could circumscribe the whole thing, in the way of
> {SuD paqwIj 'ach Doq Duj. 'e' luSov chaH.}
>
> (the above example is nonsense, I know.)
>
> Quvar.

Maybe a verb with {-rupbe'} on it?  E.g. {maSuvrupbe' 'e' luSov.} (perhaps
spoken by a Ferengi.)
But your sentence "They knew how squeamish we were." is about a degree of
squeamishness, not the fact of being squeamish.  So it's still an open question.
How would you paraphrase "squeamish" in your sentence?

How would "nauseated", "demurring", or "finicky" be translated?

lay'tel SIvten

Back to archive top level