tlhIngan-Hol Archive: Wed Jan 25 09:13:40 2006

Re: HIvchuq

In a message dated 1/25/2006 10:53:47 AM Central Standard Time,
[email protected] writes:

> I don't know the differing etymologies of those
> particular words, but you can in fact tell the
> difference in speech.  One of the defining
> characteristics of a compound word in English
> is that it has a different stress pattern than
> a 2-word phrase.  In this case, we have
> "LIGHThouse" and "light YEAR".
>
> -- ter'eS

You're right about the different stress patterns, but the part of speech also
makes a difference.
And in your example, I stress both "lighthouse" and "light year" the same.

lay'tel SIvten

Back to archive top level