tlhIngan-Hol Archive: Wed Jan 25 08:50:14 2006

Re: HIvchuq

Terrence Donnelly ([email protected]) [KLI Member]

--- Philip Newton <[email protected]> wrote:

> On 1/24/06, Steven Boozer <[email protected]>
> wrote:
> > BTW, the text of CK and PK have also never been
> officially published
> > AFAIK.  Would you have us discount all of that
> data?
>
> Not the mapping of phonemes to symbols, since that's
> fairly
> unambiguous for Klingon, given a good speaker
> pronunciation.
>
> My main quibble was with word division, which (I
> would imagine) is not
> usually well-expressed in speech -- it's more an
> artefact of the
> written word. For example, why "lighthouse" but
> "light year" or
> "light-year" in English?

I don't know the differing etymologies of those
particular words, but you can in fact tell the
difference in speech.  One of the defining
characteristics of a compound word in English
is that it has a different stress pattern than
a 2-word phrase.  In this case, we have
"LIGHThouse" and "light YEAR".

-- ter'eS

Back to archive top level