tlhIngan-Hol Archive: Mon Jan 23 04:08:17 2006

"my name is" (was Re: loy)

ja' QeS 'utlh:

> {QeS 'oH pongwIj'e'} "my name is QeS"
>
> This is the only 100% correct way of saying one's name that we know
> of.

jIQoch.  pIm chovnatlh wIghajbogh: <'roD 'oHvaD juHqo' ponglu' neH>
vaj lughba' <jIHvaD ghunchu'wI' ponglu'> qar'a'?

(And I've always felt that the way you did it sounds backwards, but
that's a very old debate that I have no desire to reopen today.)

> "I
> call myself" requires two objects and a subject, which in Klingon
> is not
> normally possible, as a verb only licenses one subject and one object
> argument at a time.

By this reasoning, "I give the officer the knife" would not be
possible in Klingon either.  We know that not to be the case, and the
way to do it exactly parallels the {juHqo' ponglu'} example, using {-
vaD} for the beneficiary of the action.

> There may be another grammatical way, using {pong} as a
> verb, but we don't know it.

Um...yes, we do.  Skybox card S27 {Qo'noS} gives it to us.
{...'oHvaD juHqo' ponglu'...} "...it is called the Homeworld..."

-- ghunchu'wI'

Back to archive top level