tlhIngan-Hol Archive: Mon Jan 23 01:07:47 2006

Re: -be' or -Qo'? I forget what the acronym was for the front... lol

Philip Newton ([email protected]) [KLI Member] [Hol ghojwI']

On 1/23/06, Shane MiQogh <[email protected]> wrote:
> If there is tenses in klingon,

There are no tenses in Klingon - only aspect (perfect/completed vs.
continuous). Perfect sounds like past to people used to tenses, but
can be future ("I will have read the book tomorrow", for example.)

> the KPC makes it out that you would use -Qo' only to state that
> you will not, or to order some one to not to do something.

*nods* refusal, or a negative order.

> But, if there are no tenses, then i don't love you would be
> qamuSHa'Qo' but, according to the KPC, such a phrase
> would be qamuSHa'be'... Which is correct?

{qamuSHa'Qo'} is "I refuse to mis-hate you"; {qamuSHa'be'} is "I do
not mis-hate you". See the difference?

Both are correct, but they mean different things.

You might also wish to consider simply saying {qamuS} - "I hate you".

(I'd say that translating {muSHa'} as "love" obscures the real meaning
of the Klingon root.)
--
Philip Newton <[email protected]>
HovpoH 5206.87