tlhIngan-Hol Archive: Sat Jan 21 19:59:13 2006

Re: loy

Shane MiQogh ([email protected])

Well, if you can get away with that, lemme point out that if klingons were real, that beat around the bush method would get others looking at the one thinking "you fool!" lol which they aren't... But let it be noted that little things like this you can't get away with in every languages... Let's say i wanted to tell my mother i'm going to my friend's house. Well. i wouldn't say "mon copain" which literally means "my friend" i'd say "un copain" which means "a friend". If you refer to a single individual and they're a friend, saying "mon" (or "ma" for reference to a girl) would be the same as adding petit (i think that's how it's spelled) to the front... in other words in some languages "my friend" means "my gf/bf" so... May it be noted that perhaps it's not that dramatic, but one must keep the culture in mind when speaking klingon, even if the culture is of a fictional background. like "nuqneH"... I don't know how tha'ts gramatically correct.. i dobut it is... But you say that to some
 one who just speaks the language and knows nothing of the culture, he'll take that as an insult, so when speaking a language, you must keep with the culture... Heck, "my name is" is incorrect (i think, not 100% sure) in some languages... That would be an intresting thing to ask okrand, i don't knwo for sure if "my name is" translated to klingon would be gramatically correct while "i call myself" would most likely be a rather smarter choice. buuuuuut, that's my opinion... I mean, i'm only 16, here, and i can only tell you what i know, but i thought i'd make this public... lol

QeS 'utlh <[email protected]> wrote:  ghItlhpu' Shane MiQogh, ja':
>You would either say "i think" or "it appears as" rather than "i guess"
>anyway.... am i right or am i the only one that sees it this way?

"I guess" is fine if you're actually guessing. Otherwise, as I said my
{leghlaw'pu' Hoch} "everyone has apparently seen him" or "I guess everyone
has seen him".

QeS 'utlh
tlhIngan Hol yejHaD pabpo' / Grammarian of the Klingon Language Institute

not nItoj Hemey ngo' juppu' ngo' je
- Ubykh Hol vIttlhegh

ASUS M5 Ultra-slim lightweight is Now $1999 (was $2,999)
http://a.ninemsn.com.au/b.aspx?URL=http%3A%2F%2Fwww%2Easus%2Ecom%2Eau%2F&_t=752129232&_r=Hotmail_tagline_23Nov05&_m=EXT