tlhIngan-Hol Archive: Sat Jan 21 15:04:06 2006

Re: loy

QeS 'utlh ([email protected])

ghItlhpu' Quvar, ja':
>Can one use {loy} in the sense of "I guess everyone has seen him"?

I don't see why not, since we have similar constructs for {Qub} "think", and
they're both verbs of thinking or perception. {leghpu' Hoch 'e' vIloy} "I
guess (that) everyone has seen him".

That being said, the English "I guess everyone has seen him" is also
idiomatic for what could be expressed in Klingon as {leghlaw'pu' Hoch}
"everyone has apparently seen him"; I'd only use {...'e' vIloy} if I was
actually referring to a guess or theory, as in "I guessed the answer to the
question".

Savan,

QeS 'utlh
tlhIngan Hol yejHaD pabpo' / Grammarian of the Klingon Language Institute

not nItoj Hemey ngo' juppu' ngo' je
     - Ubykh Hol vIttlhegh

realestate.com.au: the biggest address in property
http://ninemsn.realestate.com.au

Back to archive top level