tlhIngan-Hol Archive: Mon Jan 09 07:37:46 2006

Re: HolQeD, bav

Steven Boozer ([email protected])

DloraH:
>In the recent HolQeD the first article is Donnelly and Qov discussing
>transitives. One thing they discuss is bav and both mention that we
>don't know whether bav is transitive or intransitive. This confused me.
>I thought bav was obviously transitive per MO, HolQeD Dec 98, p8.

In my notes for {bav} I have:

   When asked about {bav}, Okrand said, "You don't need a {-Daq}.
   Just use whatever it is that you are orbiting."

Here's the portion of Will Martin's interview with Mark Okrand about {?Daq}
in HolQeD 7.4 (December 1998) for those who haven't seen it before:

WM: You've already mentioned about some special relationships between
     verbs and direct objects in Klingon that would not necessarily be
     typical to English, for example {ghoS}...

MO: {ghoS} is a very interesting verb.

WM: Oh boy. Is it. My personal sense of {ghoS}, just trying to figure out
     what in the world all those different definition segments are
     pointing towards, is that {ghoS} would be to follow a path associated
     with the direct object.

MO: Yes. That's good. I've never heard it phrased that way, but that's
     good.

WM: So, typically, the most common thing you'd associate with a path is
     its destination, but it doesn't have to be. It could be its source.

     Now, the usage that I've seen most commonly is that we'll use just
     the noun if it is the destination, but we'll use {­vo'} on the noun
     when we are moving away from it. Would that be typical Klingon
     usage?

MO: Yes. The short answer is yes. [Trademark mysterious smile.]

WM: You said that you can't always judge by the definitions as given,
     that you can't always tell as to whether something can be transitive
     or not. There are certain things that are very similar to {ghoS} that
     some of us are very tempted to use in a similar way. Things like {bav}
     - "orbit."

MO: Yes. I would do that.

WM: Then there are some that some people are tempted to, and others
     really don't like, like {jaH} - "go."

MO: Here's the way {jaH} works. {jaH} can be used, using your terminology
     both transitively and intransitively. So, {bIQtIqDaq jIjaH} is "I go in
     the river."

     I'm moving along in the river, traveling in the river. You can also
     say {bIQtIqDaq vIjaH}...

WM: You'd still use the {Daq}?

MO: Yes. But you don't have to. That would be the way. {­Daq} or no
     {­Daq}. The prefix makes the difference in meaning. {jI­} means I'm
     moving along in someplace. {vI­} means I'm moving along to
     someplace. You cannot say {bIQtIq jIjaH}.

WM: At that point, {bIQtIq} has no function in the sentence.

MO: Right.

WM: {bav}

MO: You don't need a {­Daq}. Just use whatever it is that you are orbiting.

WM: {Dech} - "surround."

MO: Same thing.

WM: {ngaS} - "contain."

MO: Same thing.

WM: {vegh}

MO: [laughs] Yes. "To go through." Same thing.

WM: {'el} - "enter."

MO: Same thing. Now, if you did say {pa'Daq vI'el} "I entered into the
     room," you could say, well, that's overkill, but that's okay.
     It's not like, "Oh, my God, I don't understand you," but you don't
     need that.

WM: In the dictionary, you said that {ghoS} could be used either with or
     without {­Daq} but it would be somewhat marked with the {­Daq}. Is
     this true for {jaH} as well?

MO: Less marked? Yes, the same, with the {vI­}, not with the {jI­}.

WM: {leng} - "roam, travel."

MO: {leng} works like {jaH}. These are all okay:

     {yuQ vIleng} or {yuQDaq vIleng}
     I travel to the planet

     {yuQvo' jIleng}
     I roam away from the planet

     {yuQDaq jIleng}
     I roam (around/about) on the planet

     This is not okay: {yuQ jIleng}

WM: {paw} - "arrive."

MO: Again, just like {jaH}, it depends. {Duj vIpaw} means "I arrive at the
     ship;" {DujDaq jIpaw} means "I arrive on the ship," that is, I arrive
     via the ship or something like that. And it would probably be okay
     to say {DujDaq vIpaw} for "I arrive at the ship." But {Duj jIpaw}
     strikes me as odd.

WM: If you think of any other {ghoS} like verbs... Those were the only
     ones I could come up with.

     Two other verbs that are interesting in terms of whether you would
     use {vI­} or {jI­} are {Sum} and {Hop}. Like {raS vISum} or {raS vIHop}.

MO: Okay. This opens up a whole new issue. You see, there's this thing
     called "deixis." This is the idea that an utterance is made at a
     specific time and place, and certain words or grammatical elements
     are interpreted correctly only by reference to that time and place.
     So the same word may refer to a different real­world thing
     depending on who's speaking, where, when, and so on. Like in the
     statement "I am here," where is "here?" It has to do with where you
     are when you make the statement. And who is "I?" "I" is Marc if I
     say it; it's Will if you do.

WM: And when somebody writes that on a blackboard and then walks
     away. It was true when it was written, but later...

MO: Yes. It's like the sign in a store window that says "Back in one
     hour." If there's no indication of when the sign was put up, how do
     you know how long to wait? It's the same in regular conversation.
     You don't speak in a vacuum. There are elements in the speech
     situation to let us interpret utterances correctly. Usually, anyway.

MO: Using the verbs {Sum} and {Hop} involves this concept.

WM: So I could not say {raSvam vISum} to say, "I am near the table."

MO: No. You'd just say {Sum raS}. The verb {Sum} implies that the speaker
     is the one the subject is near at the time of speaking.

     {Hop jabwI'}.
     The waiter is far <from me> right now.

WM: Well, that resolves the conflict otherwise created if they could take
     objects. It keeps them stative, so you can say, {HIvje' Sum yItlhap}.

MO: Yes.

WM: Otherwise, they'd be the only verbs we'd sometimes use as
     adjectives and other times use transitively.

MO: Take an object. Yes.

WM: So, could that deictic anchor be shifted by using an indirect object?
     Like if I wanted to say, "You are near the table," could I say {SoHvaD
     Sum raS}?

MO: No. You'd use {­Daq}: {SoHDaq Sum raS}. This throws the orientation
     away from the speaker (unmarked, unstated) and to the listener
     (marked, stated: "at you, where you are"). But you don't always
     need to state this overtly. Context is critical. For example:

     {qagh largh SuvwI' ghung. Sum qagh 'e' Sov.}
     The hungry warrior smells the gagh.
     He/she knows the gagh is nearby.

     The only interpretation of this (absent other information) is that the
     warrior knows the gagh is near the warrior, not the warrior knows
     the gagh is near the speaker of the sentences. If context isn't clear,
     you can clarify:

     Question: {Sum'a' raS?}
               Is the table near (me)? (Am I near the table?)

     Answer:   {HIja'. Sum raS.}
               Yes. The table is near (you).

      or

     Answer:   {ghobe'. jIHDaq Sum raS.}
               No. The table is near me.

WM: And could I say {maSumchuq}?

MO: No. You'd just say {bISum} or {SuSum}. If you haven't, in the course of
     the conversation, set things up otherwise, it's assumed that the
     event being talked about is taking place where the speaker is. In fact,
     {jISum} alone probably would make no everyday sense to a Klingon.
     "I am near me." But it does have an idiomatic philosophical sense,
     something like "I'm in touch with my inner self" (but in a Klingon
     sort of way, of course).

--
Voragh
Ca'Non Master of the Klingons