tlhIngan-Hol Archive: Sun Dec 31 18:28:13 2006

Re: Purpose Clauses (was Re: "conjunction"?)

ja' ...Paul:

> ...I see "precedes the noun or verb" and my expectation is that it
> should *immediately* precede the noun or verb. I think we have
> evidence this isn't exactly the case.  QED, the description of
> where purpose clauses are located is not completely accurate.

I don't understand how you reached that conclusion.  "Purpose clauses
precede what they modify" *is* completely accurate.  I see that it
does not exactly meet your expectation, since what you expect is more
than what TKD says.  But isn't that because your expectation *added*
something, and not because the statement in TKD is missing information?

>> There is a third option:  recognize that those three purpose clauses
>> are not modifying verbs, and that they thus say nothing about whether
>> verb-modifying purpose clauses require prefixes.
>
> ...ignoring the /tlhutlhmeH/ example.  Convenient.

I didn't ignore it.  I explicitly rejected it as a relevant example,
and I explained why:  a law'/puS comparative construction doesn't
have a main verb, so it doesn't apply to a discussion about purpose
clauses which modify the main verb of the sentence.  I do not
consider it ambiguous; the only straightforward interpretation is
that it modifies the noun(s).  The not-so-straightforward
interpretation is that it modifies the entire law'/puS in some
exceptional way.  We already have evidence of such exceptional
grammar in the {qIbDaq SuvwI''e' SoH Dun law' Hoch Dun puS} example.
It seems to me that the only unreasonable interpretation is that it
modifies the verb, since "the verb" is not a concept I believe
applies well to a law'/puS construction.

>> I don't see anything wrong with this one as it stands.  The "that
>> thing's to-pay-for money" interpretation works perfectly for me.
>
> I've got no problem with that, either, IFF one accepts that there
> is an implied indefinite subject.  What I'm saying is that this
> example makes
> two assumptions, not just one -- it assumes indefinite subject
> implication is acceptable, and it assumes that the purpose clause
> is modifying the object noun, not the verb.

I only see one assumption: a verb-meH modifying a noun may be a bare
verb with no subject or object.  This assumption is well supported by
canon examples.  The other "assumption" you state seems to be such an
obvious interpretation of the sentence that I would hardly call it an
assumption at all.  In order for it to be interpreted differently,
one must also assume either that the sentence is grammatically
incorrect (which makes it rather unsuitable as support for a given
point) or that it is unique evidence for a hitherto unwritten
grammatical feature.

I know, I know -- if you choose several such examples, applying that
same single assumption can make them all support the novel
grammatical feature.  But I prefer the simpler conclusion: the
sentences are correct and do not imply anything special about verb-
modifying purpose clauses.

-- ghunchu'wI'

Back to archive top level