tlhIngan-Hol Archive: Fri Dec 29 09:39:04 2006

Re: "conjunction"?

Steven Boozer ([email protected])

paul:
> >> Not sure on the /chevmeH mu'/ concept, though (or /chuvbogh mu'/ :)
> >> because I'm not sure /'ach/ really separates things; punctuation tends to
> >> do that.  ;)

lay'SIv:
> > But punctuation is optional, albeit widely used, so it can't be relied
> on for
> > disambiguation.

paul:
>But the sentiment is the same; separation of sentences, etc, isn't done
>with the conjunction /'ach/; if anything, /'ach/ is linking two sentences,
>albeit in a comparative/contrasting way.

Perhaps these verbs work better for describing punctuation:

*{rarmeH DeghHom} - a "connecting mark" (i.e. internal punctuation: commas,
semicolons, dashes, etc.)

*{chevmeH DeghHom} - a "separating mark" (i.e. end punctuation: periods,
question marks, exclamation marks, etc.)

--
Voragh
Ca'Non Master of the Klingons

Back to archive top level