tlhIngan-Hol Archive: Mon Aug 07 14:51:15 2006

Re: {-Iy'} syllables

Steven Boozer ([email protected])

QeS:
>Maybe Klingon generally abhors complex codas when the vowel is {I}? It's
>interesting to note that in addition to the total lack of {CIw'} and {CIy'}
>syllables, there are only two known {CIrgh} syllables, {chIrgh} and {SIrgh}.

Klingon also doesn't seem to like the less complex ending {CIy} either.  I
could only find four in TKD:

   {lIy}      comet (n.)
   {mIy}      brag (v.)
   {wIy}      tactical display (on monitor) (n.)
   {SonchIy}  Sonchi ceremony (n.)

of which the last (from the Addendum) may well be a cultural borrowing from
a {no' Hol} "dialect" and so maybe not strictly speaking {ta' Hol} at all.

There appears to be a {no' Hol} place name in Keith R.A. DeCandido's novel
"Diplomatic Implausibility" (that is, if Okrand provided the spelling):

  {qamchIy}   Qam-Chee (Kahless and Lukara successfully defended the Great Hall
              at Qam-Chee; DS9 "Looking for par'Mach in All the Wrong Places")

and finally two more in Okrand's own transcriptions of Federation Standard
names from various sources, which probably aren't relevant to QeS's point:

   {rabe'rIt 'o'raylIy}  Robert O'Reilly
   {jemS tIy qIrq}       James T. Kirk

--
Voragh