tlhIngan-Hol Archive: Sat Apr 29 17:16:58 2006

Re: {Qong} and other unattested nouns

Shane MiQogh ([email protected])

>nuqjatlh? Nouns cannot carry tense in English.
  I'm suggesting that maybe it's not a noun in english...

  >Or "I need to have *a* sleep".

  Most likely formed from the creation of a noun form... I can't really... Even though i speak english, i myself can't really.. Conceive sleep as an object... Only verbs and adjatives... Sleep is not tangible, nor does it represent a value or another object. It represents a state of mind/body. Sleep is an inexistant object...

  >Nope. "Sleep" in English is a noun not only meaning "the action of sleeping"
>(as in "I didn't get a wink of sleep last night"), but also "a period of
>time during which one sleeps", as in my above example "I need to have a
>sleep". Or "I had a good sleep last night". This is the sense in which the
>pair "to sleep" and "sleep" parallels "to live" and "life".

  "i had a good sleep last night" dosn't represent a time... If anything represents a figure it's "good" not sleep... "I need to have a sleep" means "i need to perform the action of sleeping."

  >We don't really need a noun {Qong} either, but it could be there. Just
>because a word isn't strictly necessary doesn't invalidate it as a word
>(otherwise synonymy would not occur in any language). English is a
>marvellous example of redundancy in a language.

  That's obvious... Fact is on the contrary, sleep as a noun only represents the action, while life is used as a noun so one could personify it... I really don't see why anyone would personify sleep though... That is... Irrelevant.... lol Klingon needs a noun of "action" before it needs a noun for sleep... I could think of a verb that klingon dosn't have that would be useful, but would probably keep klingon unique if we didn't have it... And that verb would be "do". Such as "Do that of which i have asked you to do."