tlhIngan-Hol Archive: Thu Apr 27 20:49:59 2006

Re: {Qong} and other unattested nouns

QeS 'utlh ([email protected])

ghItlhpu' Shane MiQogh, ja':
>I don't know if mu' HaqwI' had much basis on the format it uses, but
>it seems that it allows only type 5 noun suffixes placed onto verbs...
>and TKD vaguely hints on usage of type 5 noun suffixes on verbs.

That can't happen for all verbs, nor can it happen for those verbs all the
time. Simply put: if you want to put a type 5 noun suffix on a noun that has
an accompanying stative verb behaving as an adjectival (e.g. {'Iw Doq} "red
blood"), you must put the type 5 suffix on the adjectival, not on the noun:
{'Iw DoqDaq} "in the red blood"). You can't do this when the stative verb is
not behaving adjectivally (*{DoqDaq 'Iw} is wrong, for instance), nor can
you do it with a normal verb.

>The real question would come to mind of where one would place the
>type 5 noun suffix on a verb that already has suffixes, or if it's treated
>as a rover.

That's quite a good question, and one that I can't answer, since the only
verb suffixes we have attested on statives are the rovers {-be'} and {-qu'}
IIRC. Nevertheless, I imagine that Klingon grammar would prohibit these
rovers coming after the type 5 verb suffix if it were present.

>Perhaps then that type 5 suffixes could be another way to convert
>verbs to nouns.

Unlikely. What would *{Qongvo'} mean?

>This makes pronouns even more possible to be conjugated forms of "to be".

The pronouns in Klingon are fundamentally pronouns. Their verbal usage is an
extension of the pronominal usage, not the other way around.

QeS 'utlh
tlhIngan Hol yejHaD pabpo' / Grammarian of the Klingon Language Institute

not nItoj Hemey ngo' juppu' ngo' je
     - Ubykh Hol vIttlhegh

Read, write and reply to Hotmail on your mobile. Find out more.
http://mobilecentral.ninemsn.com.au/mcmobileHotmail/home.aspx

Back to archive top level