tlhIngan-Hol Archive: Wed Apr 26 20:51:46 2006

Re: par' vs. muS?

QeS 'utlh ([email protected])

ghItlhpu' Shane MiQogh, ja':
>i don't think klingons are insuseptable to usage of verbs as nouns.

I do. For a start, there are explicit devices for turning verbs into nouns;
for a second thing, Klingon on the whole tends to be more verb-centric than
English does. Some verbs can be used as nouns, but expanding this to include
every verb in the language is a bit premature. If any verb could be used as
a noun (and vice versa) in Klingon, there would be no need for an explicit
distinction between verbs and nouns, and Okrand would also have provided us
with a lot more verbs and nouns in TKD than are found there. {Qong} "to
sleep" is known to only be a verb, for instance; IIRC Okrand has explicitly
stated that there is no known noun *{Qong} "sleep".

>particularly that verb in english is often used as a noun describing the
>verb form.

Yes, but in colloquial English such as the case you just described, word
class rules are much more relaxed, almost to the point that they no longer
exist. One good example I saw once was "Is it better to Kirk the enemy or
Picard them?", in which "Kirk" and "Picard" are grammatically behaving as
verbs.

>I only ment that regular klingon names would be based on our real names.
>Like Terrance is te'reS or something like that.

Many are, but not all. {QeS} means absolutely nothing. It's just a sequence
of sounds that I happened to like.

>I'm tempted to treat it like how some things in french are nouns but
>define a verb.....

So what verb would you say {bang} defines?

>If there was a klingon preposition for "to" in reletivity of an action
>vs person this would be easier... "I must give the message to the
>captain!" would be difficult in klingon.

{-vaD} is most usual for the verb "to give", since the person you're giving
the message to (the dative argument) is also its beneficiary or goal (the
benefactive argument, which Klingon defines with the suffix {-vaD}): {HoDvaD
QIn vInobnIS}.

QeS 'utlh
tlhIngan Hol yejHaD pabpo' / Grammarian of the Klingon Language Institute

not nItoj Hemey ngo' juppu' ngo' je
     - Ubykh Hol vIttlhegh

Bounce Back from sickness and injury today.
http://a.ninemsn.com.au/b.aspx?URL=http%3A%2F%2Fclk%2Eatdmt%2Ecom%2FMOS%2Fgo%2Fnnmsngem0010000007mos%2Fdirect%2F01%2F&_t=753470755&_r=HM_Tagline_Apr06&_m=EXT

Back to archive top level