tlhIngan-Hol Archive: Sun Apr 16 15:22:16 2006

Re: QImmey

QeS 'utlh ([email protected])

jatlh ghunchu'wI':
>vaj? <ghIq> DajatlhHa'law'.

jangpu' naHQun, ja':
>vaj adv. then
>no?
>I do this and *then* I do that...

This is where Klingon is so much more accurate than English that it's not
funny. {{:) Klingon has no less than *three* words for "then": {vaj}, {ghIq}
and {ngugh}. Okrand explained these three words on alt.startrek.klingon in
late 1999. You can read the original message at this site:
http://klingonska.org/canon/1999-11-05.txt

{vaj} means "then" in the sense of "therefore" or in the sense of a logical
consequence: "if I eat this, then I will die".
{ghIq} means "then" in the sense of "subsequently": "I ate the eggs, then I
ate the bacon".
{ngugh} means "then" in the sense of "at that time". "They lived in the
Jurassic period. Dinosaurs were alive then."

DaH bIyaj'a'?

QeS 'utlh
tlhIngan Hol yejHaD pabpo' / Grammarian of the Klingon Language Institute

not nItoj Hemey ngo' juppu' ngo' je
     - Ubykh Hol vIttlhegh

New year, new job ? there's more than 100,00 jobs at SEEK
http://a.ninemsn.com.au/b.aspx?URL=http%3A%2F%2Fninemsn%2Eseek%2Ecom%2Eau&_t=752315885&_r=Jan05_tagline&_m=EXT

Back to archive top level