tlhIngan-Hol Archive: Sun Apr 16 15:11:12 2006

Re: Why we can use words that it'd take klingons 5 minutes to understand.

QeS 'utlh ([email protected])

ghItlhpu' Shane MiQogh, ja':
>Indeed. One of these days i should lookup a list of idioms.

If you can get hold of a copy of Klingon for the Galactic Traveller (KGT),
that would help you enormously. It is chock-full of idiomatic Klingon. If
your parents will not let you order it online (through Ebay or whatever),
your local bookstore should be able to order you a copy. It's ISBN
0671009958, published by Simon and Schuster.

Remember ghunchu'wI''s recent comment about "the goblet containing water"?
That's an idiom from KGT. {bIQ ngaS HIvje'lIj}, literally "your goblet
contains water", means "you're entirely mistaken, you're totally wrong".

>That dosn't always constitute as making sence. Proper nouns (except
>names of people) should be left as is with <> around it or something
>else you prefer.

Erm, I believe I already said that. jIja': "Proper names you can do this
with."

ja'taH Shane MiQogh, ja':
>When i brought up "pung ghap HoS" from TKW, some one said that it's
>considered "ancient klingon" and not to be used as an example.

lughbej nuvvetlh. {qIb lengwI' tlhIngan Hol} ghItlhtaHvIS wanI'vetlh qel
Okrand; {no' Hol} ponglu'. ghe'naQDaq bommeyDaq latlhDaq je tlhIngan Hol
mu'mey mu'tlheghmey je ngo' lulo'lu'bogh 'oH {no' Hol}'e'.
That's right. In KGT, Okrand talks about this phenomenon, which is called
{no' Hol} "ancestor language". {no' Hol} is basically ancient forms of
Klingon used in modern Klingon culture in whatever way, particularly in
operas and poetry.

For the TKW example, in older forms of Klingon, the conjunction used to come
*between* two nouns, a phenomenon also found in the idiomatic phrase {mIv je
DaS}, literally "helmet and boot". This is, however, no longer the case in
what we call "modern" Klingon.

QeS 'utlh
tlhIngan Hol yejHaD pabpo' / Grammarian of the Klingon Language Institute

not nItoj Hemey ngo' juppu' ngo' je
     - Ubykh Hol vIttlhegh

realestate.com.au: the biggest address in property
http://ninemsn.realestate.com.au

Back to archive top level