tlhIngan-Hol Archive: Thu Apr 13 17:56:41 2006

Why we can use words that it'd take klingons 5 minutes to understand.

Shane MiQogh ([email protected])

be''a' is an example... Anyone here would say that's incorrect no? (I know this debate is in another email, but this is actually a slightly broader topic so i'm starting a new email for this.)

  When one learns a language, they speak it better than fluent people. Why? Because fluent people only use what words they hear everyday. Many words are proper, but since they never heard it, they don't know the meaning. Things like Supermarine in english, would be proper, dishate would be proper and so forth, but we don't understand them because we have other words in place of those. it makes no sence to us, because we don' t hear it. That dosn't make bugger and bollocks wrong (even if they are new words) because americans can't understand them. If i was wrong, words like discombobulate would be improper english, because it's not used often, but it is proper english.

  It's all a matter of culture and preferance. It's just like "i call myself" in french rather than "my name is". Based on this, we can come up with a list of proper language, but cultural taboos...

  English:

  Supermarine (Flying boat)
  Dishate (Love)
  Diskill (Revive, save, or not kill)

  Klingon:

  be''a' (Old woman, or Big woman)
  muSHa' (Love)
  toDHa' (kill)

  Not improper, just not understood. Using such taboos could result in bringing new ideas into speech that can't be done in any other language. -'a' Dun would be klingon for Super Duper, but the klingon version is proper, but Duper is not a word...