tlhIngan-Hol Archive: Thu Apr 13 04:15:06 2006

Re: Can Klingons learn from Vulcans?

Shane MiQogh ([email protected])

"klingon haiku" comes to mind...
QeS 'utlh <[email protected]> wrote:  Last night I was rereading "The Romulan Way" by Diane Duane and Peter
Morwood. While reading it, I came across a short passage (pp. 44-45) which,
while inconsequential in the novel, jumped out and caught my eye; it
describes a supposedly Vulcan mode of poetry called the "steheht" mode. Two
verses in this mode (in English) are given, from which one can deduce that a
verse is structured around a certain number of syllables in each line. It
appears that a stave of "steheht"-mode poetry is composed of five lines, of
four, six, five, five, and two syllables.

This mode struck me as though it might be usable in Klingon as well, and I
managed to make a couple of verses very easily using this mode, which is
quite something considering how rubbish I am at poetry generally. This may
be of interest to you all; then again, it may not. Do with this info what
you please.

bomvam yIQoy!
qeylIS lIjla'be'bogh
ghaH SuvwI' Dun'e';
tlhIngan batlh pabchu'
net Sov.

jIbDaj'e' chIp;
tlheghmeyvetlh tIq lo' 'ej
vaHbo'Daq tlhegh lan;
chen tlhIngan batlh 'etlh,
betleH.

QeS 'utlh
tlhIngan Hol yejHaD pabpo' / Grammarian of the Klingon Language Institute

not nItoj Hemey ngo' juppu' ngo' je
- Ubykh Hol vIttlhegh

New year, new job ? there's more than 100,00 jobs at SEEK
http://a.ninemsn.com.au/b.aspx?URL=http%3A%2F%2Fninemsn%2Eseek%2Ecom%2Eau&_t=752315885&_r=Jan05_tagline&_m=EXT