tlhIngan-Hol Archive: Mon Apr 10 12:36:57 2006

Re: vowels vs. consonants <Re: Klingon WOTD: pIl (verb)

Shane MiQogh ([email protected])

Yodel... if you were to put the pronounciation in slow motion, you will find the long e sound.
QeS 'utlh <[email protected]> wrote:  ghItlhpu' Shane MiQogh, ja':
>"y As in English yodel or joy" If that's the case, it could be difficult to
>perform, but possible...it would make some what of a long e (english)
>sound..

Then surely it's no longer {y}, but "somewhat of a long /e/ sound", isn't
it? Klingon {y} and {w} cannot act as syllable nuclei.

I think you're confusing the letter /y/ with the phoneme /y/. The letter /y/
has various different pronunciations, as evidenced by the different forms it
takes in the words "Yiddish" (phonologically consonantal), "by"
(phonologically a diphthong), "myth" (phonologically a simple vowel).
However, the phoneme /y/ (in IPA, [j]) is limited only to the first of these
three.

QeS 'utlh
tlhIngan Hol yejHaD pabpo' / Grammarian of the Klingon Language Institute

not nItoj Hemey ngo' juppu' ngo' je
- Ubykh Hol vIttlhegh

realestate.com.au: the biggest address in property
http://ninemsn.realestate.com.au