tlhIngan-Hol Archive: Sun Apr 09 21:39:47 2006

Re: vowels vs. consonants <Re: Klingon WOTD: pIl (verb)

Shane MiQogh ([email protected])

"y As in English yodel or joy" If that's the case, it could be difficult to perform, but possible...it would make some what of a long e (english) sound.. but of course, not practical usage, but theoretically could be done.
[email protected] wrote:  In a message dated 4/9/2006 11:28:36 PM Central Standard Time,
[email protected] writes:

> i mean as a general.Actually, in english it is a sound but what i'm saying
> is, it's similar to the english Y, for even though thre is no such word, it
> is possible to pronounce the letters as you would a vowel, even though they're
> consonents.

You seem to be mixing things up.
{y} is only similar to English "y" when there is a vowel with it. But
English "y" can be a vowel, as in "by" or "myth". This can't happen in Klingon.
If you remove the five vowels {a, e, I, o, u} from Klingon text/speech, it
becomes unpronounceable. Nothing is left to act as a vowel.

lay'tel SIvten