tlhIngan-Hol Archive: Wed Apr 05 16:03:28 2006

Re: <KLI> qep

Shane MiQogh ([email protected])

qatlho'. "Useful Klingon Folder"Daq jabbI'ID vIpol.

  Anyway, my only purpous for the qep'a' is for voice convos to hear the language by the closest to fluent speakers as i can get. lol oh well...
Steven Boozer <[email protected]> wrote:
  nuQum Shane mIQogh:

>'ach qep'a'maj wIghaj 'e' vIparHa'.
>but I would like to have a meeting.

"I'd like to have a meeting" is an idiom. Use {ghom} "meet" and {neH} "want":

qaghom vIneH
I want to meet you

maghom(chuq) vIneH
I want us to meet (each other)

Translating common idioms literally is one of the hardest things to get out
of the habit of doing when learning a new language.

FYI: A {qep'a'} is "conference, congress"; the KLI holds one every
summer. In the past, we've also used *{qepHey} "virtual qep'a'" for just
this sort of thing:

qepHey wIcher vIneH
I want us to hold (i.e. "set up") a virtual meeting

>Daq Daq ghap maghomjaj.
>We may meet on a weekend or holiday.

{maghomjaj} means "May we meet!" (e.g. May we meet in battle!) Cf. TKD p.175f:

[{-jaj}] is used to express a desire or wish on the part of the
speaker that something take place in the future. When it is used,
there is never a Type 7 aspect suffix. {-jaj} is often translated
with "may" or "let", and it is particularly useful when placing
a curse or making a toast.

Some examples:

reH tlhIngan wo' taHjaj
May the Klingon Empire continue forever! PK
(i.e. Long live the Klingon Empire!)

bItuHpa' bIHeghjaj
Death before shame. PK

bISuvtaHvIS bIHeghjaj
May you die in battle! PK

When you mean "can, may" in the sense of "be able, be possible" or even
"could", use {-laH}.

As for when to meet, that's a little trickier but here's one way using
{Dor} "end", a verb that's not in TKD:

qaStaHvIS yupma' pagh DorDI' Hogh maghomlaH.
We can meet either during a festival or at the end of the week.

Okrand introduced {Dor} in HolQeD 12.2 (p.8):

Generally, one expresses the end of a stretch of time by using
a verb rather than a noun. That is, one says when the month ends
rather than at the end of the month. The verb for this kind of
end is {Dor}. For example:
DorDI' jar mejpu'
At the end of the month, he/she left.
(Literally, this sentence means "When the month ended, he/she
left.) [...] When an event over which one has some control ends
(one can't cause a month to end), a different verb is used: {van}
[...] Another verb, {ghang}, is used to express the idea of a
premature ending.

BTW you should bookmark or print out the KLI's New Words List for words not
listed in TKD or KGT:
/tlh/newwords.html

>jIjatlhbe'jaj.
>I might not talk.

Another {-jaj} error: This means "May I not speak!" (i.e. a wish). For
"might" just use {chaq} "maybe, perhaps":

chaq jIjatlhbe'.
Perhaps I will not speak.

chaq jIjatlhlaHbe'.
Maybe I won't be able to speak.

>ghoghmeymaj lo' nuchaw', [...]
>It allows us to use our voices, [...]

Prefix: {nu-} "it [does something to] us", but it's inappropriate
here. The object of {chaw'} is the 3rd person pronoun {'e'}. Use the
so-called "zero" prefix "it [does something to] it".

Prefix: {DI-} "we [do something to] them": {ghoghmeymaj DIlo'} "we use our
voices"

ghoghmeymaj DIlo' 'e' chaw'
Teamspeak lets us use our voices.
("We use our voices. Teamspeak allows that.")

Hint: When using {'e'} always use prefixes with a 3rd person singular
object to refer to it.

> luchenmoHmeH 'e' qech vInobjaj, 'ach poH lughajnIS.
>I will give them the idea to make it for macintosh, but they will need to
>have time.

OTOH this is not a sentence-as-object with {'e'}, but rather a purpose
clause with {-meH}. Also, the indirect object "them" has to be stated and
marked with {-vaD}:

vaD luchenmoHmeH chaHvaD qech vInob
(in order) for them to make it for Macintosh, I will give the idea to them

Since you seem to have misunderstood {-jaj}, I thought I'd
comment. Otherwise your Klingon is coming along nicely. Keep it up.

Qapla'!

--
Voragh
Ca'Non Master of the Klingons