tlhIngan-Hol Archive: Wed Apr 05 07:31:38 2006

Re: pe'vIl jev

Steven Boozer ([email protected])

ter'eS:

> >> A few suffixes can be added to some adverbials, such
> >> as {-qu'}, {-be'}, {-Ha'}. {nom} "quickly" + {-qu'} =
> >> "very quickly".

taD:
>In HolQeD Volume 4, Number 4, bottom of page 11, Okrand mentions using
>{-Ha'} on (some) adverbials. So if you said {nomHa'}, it might be
>acceptable, but I would wonder why you didn't just use {QIt}. It also
>mentions that Maltz thought *{vajHa'} sounded weird.
>
>However, I don't think we've ever seen {-be'}, {-qu'}, or any other verb
>suffixes on adverbials. The only exception I can think of would be {Do'be'}
>or {Do'qu'}, but in those cases that would be the verb {Do'} "be lucky" and
>not the adverbial {Do'} "luckily, fortunately".
>
>If you want to say something like "It was moving really quickly", I think
>{nom vIHqu'} works adequately.

Exactly.  ter'eS was thinking of Klaa's command in ST5:

   nom yIghoSqu'!
   Maximum speed.

{-qu'} and {-be'} go on the verb, not the adverb.  Another example:

   pa' reH maSuvtaHqu'
   [t]here we battle forever. (Anthem)

{reH}, {-taH} and {-qu'} all reinforce each other.

I like to think of the adverbial + verb forming a sort of "thought unit",
so that adding these suffixes to the verb modifies the phrase as a
whole.  Interestingly, they're all Rovers.

{-qu'} "emphatic" is much more productive than most of us think.  Although
I couldn't find other examples used with an adverb in the same clause,
these are worth study:

   maHeghbejqu'
   It's certain death. (ST5 notes)

   qIrq wItlha'taHqu'
   Where Kirk goes, we follow. (ST5 notes)

   qara'qu'
   That's an order. (ST5 notes)

   tIqIpqu' 'ej nom tIqIp
   Hit them hard and hit them fast. TKW

I wonder how {nom tIqIpqu'} might be translated:  "Hit them really hard and
fast"?  "Pummel them!"?

--
Voragh
Ca'Non Master of the Klingons