tlhIngan-Hol Archive: Tue Sep 27 07:22:51 2005

Re: ta

Steven Boozer ([email protected])

> >The smaller {nevDagh} is characterized by its V-shaped handles,
> >termed {DeSqIvDu'} ("elbows"; note the {-Du'}, the plural suffix
> >for body parts is used here even though the handles are not lit-
> >erally body parts). (KGT 97)
>
> >[{Ho'}] is actually the word for "tooth", but it is applied to someone
> >who is admired or revered. [...] Grammatically, even as slang, {Ho'}
> >follows the rules appropriate to its literal meaning. Thus, even
> >though it may refer to a person, its plural is {Ho'Du'} ("teeth"),
> >making use of the plural suffix for body parts ({-Du'}), not {Ho'pu'},
> >with {-pu'}, the plural suffix for beings capable of using language.
> >Similarly, it never takes the possessive suffixes associated with
> >beings capable of using language. That is, "my idol" (literally,
> >"my tooth") is {Ho'wIj} (with {-wIj}, the general suffix for "my"),
> >not {Ho'wI'} (with {-wI'}, the suffix for "my" used with beings capable
> >of using language).  (KGT 152-53)

QeS la':
>So the use of gender suffixes in Klingon may not be just done on the fly, by

Gender!?  Surely you meant number or possessive suffixes?  Or are you using
"gender" to refer to the basic person vs. thing distinction in Klingon
grammar -- "sentience" perhaps?

>deciding whether the labeled object can use language or not: it may be more
>grammatical than semantic. Which would imply that Data, despite his
>intelligence, ability to communicate, use language etc. etc. would still be
>basically a {qoq}, and therefore probably of the {-mey} class, not {-pu'}.

I think robots in general are considered things, or {-mey}
nouns.  (Androids may be another matter entirely!)  But Data (and his
"brother" Lore) is unique and probably would be considered a person by
those who know him, but a thing by those who don't.  In fact TNG "Measure
of a Man" was all about this distinction in Federation/Starfleet law.

And as I always point out whenever this topic comes up, we've never seen or
heard of a Klingon robot or android, let alone even a Klingon computer that
uses a voice interface.  I think Klingons are uncomfortable with the idea
of talking machines.  (IRL the reason we've never seen a talking Klingon
computer is that the writers could avoid writing "Klingon" dialogue for the
computer to say!)

>But then, we do have the problematic {vIlInHoD} and {qaryoq}, which
>apparently are a tad more fluid.

{qaryoq} and {vIlInHoD} are both defined as "bird capable of mimicking
speech" (HQ 10.4).  Mimicking speech is not the same thing as using
speech.  Apparently, these birds cannot talk (i.e. use language to
communicate to others of their species);  they only make sounds that sound
like talk.

--
Voragh
Ca'Non Master of the Klingons