tlhIngan-Hol Archive: Mon Oct 24 07:34:52 2005

Re: believe in?

Steven Boozer ([email protected])

naHQun:
> > So I know that {Har} means "believe",
> > but how would I say that I "believe in (something)"?
> > i.e. Christ, magic, fairies *clap clap*

lay'tel SIvten:
>I could find only one canon instance of {Har}:
>   {qaHarbe'; bo'Dagh'a' Dalo'}
>   I don't believe you; you're using a big scoop |
>   I don't believe you; You're exaggerating (idiom)  [KGT p125]

There's also this surprisingly correct line from TNG "A Matter of Honor":

   yIHarQo'!  nepwI' ghaH.
   Do not believe him! He lies. (lit. "He's a liar")

>What does "believe in X" mean?  (Or what do you believe when you believe in
>something?)
>For starters, it can mean "believe that X exists", if X is God, magic,
>fairies. (vi. 1a below)

e.g.  taH(bej) Qun 'e' vIHar.
       I (truly) believe that God exists.
       I absolutely believe in God.

In discussing the slang verb {bej} "be sure, definite, positive, certain"
in KGT (p.145), Okrand says:

   "compare {voq}, "trust", and {voqbej}, "certainly trust" [....] The
   notions expressed by {bej} can be conveyed without slang with a word
   such as {Honbe'} ("not doubt") or by making use of the verb suffix
   {-bej}, as in {HIvrupbej} ("They're certainly ready to attack").

>It can also mean "believe that X is good or will do the right thing" (vi. 3
>below)
>When it means 'accept', it can be translated as {laj}, a recent KWOTD. (vi.
>1b below)
>
>I think {laj} (accept) can work for "believe in".

Possibly, though {laj} seems to mean accept in the sense of receiving
something:

   to'baj 'uS lughoDlu'bogh tIlaj
   Accept these stuffed tobbaj legs! PK

   jIlajneS
   I'm honored to accept [your offer]! (TNG "A Matter of Honor")

   jIlajneS. ghIj qet jaghmeyjaj
   I accept. May your enemies run with fear." (TKW p.65; TNG "Sins of the
Father")
   [This is the traditional acceptance upon being asked to serve as
someone's cha'DIch.]

   beq may' ta vIlajpu'
   I have accepted the crew's record of battle.

   ghopDu'wIjDaq yInmeyraj vIlaj
   I accept your lives into my hands. KGT

   "I have accepted discommendation." [Worf, in TNG "Reunion"]
   [?{naDHa'ghach vIlajpu'}]

A better choice is {voq} "trust, have faith in" and {voqHa'}
"distrust".  In virtually all of the canon examples, "trust" can be
replaced by {believe (in)" with no significant loss of meaning:

   Duj tIvoqtaH
   Always trust your instincts. TKD

   DujlIj yIvoq
   Trust your instincts. TKW

   chovoq'a'
   Do you trust me? CK

   qavoq
   I trust you. CK

   yIvoq 'ach yI'ol
   Trust, but verify. TKW

   yIvoq 'ach lojmItmey yISam  [sic for {*tI*voq}]
   Trust, but locate the doors. TKW

   pIj monchugh vay' yIvoqQo'
   Don't trust those who frequently smile. TKW

   nobmey qembogh yIrIDnganpu''e' yIvoqQo'
   Don't trust Yridians who bring gifts. TKW

   Huch nobHa'bogh verenganpu''e' yIvoqQo'
   Don't trust Ferengi who give back money. TKW

--
Voragh
Ca'Non Master of the Klingons

Back to archive top level