tlhIngan-Hol Archive: Fri Oct 14 07:39:52 2005

Re: Klingon WOTD: wob (verb)

Steven Boozer ([email protected])

Holtej:
>This is the Klingon Word Of The Day for Friday, October 14, 2005.
>
>Klingon word:   wob
>Part of Speech: verb
>Definition:     hurl a spear by means of a [chetvi]
>
>Additional Notes:
>KGT p. 64: There is, in addition, at least one type of spear, the
>{tlhevjaQ}, which employs a {chetvI'}, a stick with a hook at the end, as
>an aid for throwing.  There is a single verb, {wob}, that is used to
>describe the full range of activities involved in putting the spear
>properly into the spear-throwing aid and using the air to hurl the spear:
>{tlhevjaQ wob} ("He/she puts the {tlhevjaQ} into the {chetvI'} and hurls
>the spear").

lay'tel SIvten:
>Holtej,
>While you accurately quote this passage from KGT, I wonder if there is a typo
>in the original: "using the air" should be "using the aid", I think.  Do you
>(or maybe Voragh) have any other info on this?

KGT does indeed read "aid".

>In speaking of this type of spear and spear-throwing technique, it is
>still proper to use the verb {chuH} when talking about throwing the spear
>at a target.

More on {chuH} for those interested...

   Some spears are simply thrust into an oncoming enemy. Others are
   generally thrown. The thrower first lowers the spear to a horizontal
   position (the verb describing this action is {ghuS}), then hurls it
   with great force ("throw" or "hurl" in this manner is {chuH}). The
   verb {chuH}, which is more accurately translated as "spear" -- that
   is, "hurl a spear at", can be used only if the projectile being
   thrown is a spear or somehow resembles a spear. The object of the
   verb is the intended target: {jagh chuH SuvwI'} ("The warrior spears
   the enemy", or "The warrior throws [a spear] at the enemy"). One way
   to indicate that the target is actually hit is to add the suffix
   {-chu'} ("perfectly") to the verb: {jagh chuHchu' SuvwI'} ("The
   warrior spears the enemy perfectly, The warrior hits the enemy [with
   a thrown spear]"). (KGT 64)

   The literal meaning of {chuH} is "throw a spear at, hurl a spear at".
   The object of {chuH} is usually the intended target, the person or
   thing at which the spear is thrown. In the slang sense, the object
   of the verb is the person who wants clarification, as in {HIchuH!}
   ("Clarify for me! Spell it out for me!") or {yaS chuH} ("He/she
   clarifies [it] for the officer"). (KGT 149)

   qachuHnIS'a'
   Must I hurl a spear at you? KGT

--
Voragh