tlhIngan-Hol Archive: Wed Nov 30 16:23:30 2005

Re: Klingon WOTD: pIv (verb)

QeS la' ([email protected])

ghItlhpu' Voragh, ja':
>   yIpIv
>   Be healthy!
>   [Okrand sent Glen Proechel a "get well" letter when he was hospitalized
>   for heart and kidney failure. "I don't know that this makes that phrase
>   the 'official' way to wish someone health in Klingon,

I doubt it, in view of Okrand's explanation of imperative stative verbs in
KGT (p.117). Okrand states that when one forms the imperative of stative
verbs like {pIv}, {taD} and {tuj}, standard practice is to use a stative
verb plus {-'eghmoH}: {yItaD'eghmoH} (rather than {yItaD}) is one example he
cites.

>   but it is consistent with the idea that sickness is considered a
>weakness   and a Klingon needs to be ordered to stay healthy." (Proechel,
>3/98)

I don't think a sick Klingon would *need* to be ordered to be healthy... a
Klingon is never weak deliberately. {{:)

Savan,

QeS la'
taghwI' pabpo' / Beginners' Grammarian

not nItoj Hemey ngo' juppu' ngo' je
     - Ubykh Hol vIttlhegh

ASUS M5 Ultra-slim lightweight is Now $1999 (was $2,999)
http://a.ninemsn.com.au/b.aspx?URL=http%3A%2F%2Fwww%2Easus%2Ecom%2Eau%2F&_t=752129232&_r=Hotmail_tagline_23Nov05&_m=EXT

Back to archive top level