tlhIngan-Hol Archive: Wed Nov 30 11:15:20 2005

Re: Klingon WOTD: SoS (noun)

Steven Boozer ([email protected])

>This is the Klingon Word Of The Day for Saturday, November 26, 2005.
>
>Klingon word:   SoS
>Part of Speech: noun
>Definition:     mother

Used in canon:

   Hab SoSlI' Quch
   Your mother has a smooth forehead!! PK

   SoSwI' vavwI' je quvmoHjaj paqvam
   [Okrand's dedication] KGT

   Within the family, a child usually addresses his or her mother
   as {SoS} (Mother) and father as {vav} (Father), though it is not
   uncommon for younger children to use the words {SoSoy} (Mommy)
   and {vavoy} (Daddy). These are the regular words for "mother" and
   "father" followed by the suffix {-oy}, which indicates endearment.
   Most older children drop the {-oy} around the time of their Age of
   Ascension, though some continue to use it even after that, espe-
   cially when addressing the parent of the opposite sex [...] Though
   almost always heard as terms of direct address (as in {Sosoy jIghung}
   ["Mommy, I'm hungry"]), kinship terms with the suffix {-oy} are
   occasionally used as subjects or objects of sentences, particularly
   in the speech of younger children. For example, a proud child may
   say, {SuvwI' ghaH vavoy'e'} ("My daddy is a warrior"). (KGT 198f)

--
Voragh
Ca'Non Master of the Klingons

Back to archive top level