tlhIngan-Hol Archive: Mon Nov 28 08:33:42 2005

Re: wen qaSpu'

Steven Boozer ([email protected])

nuQum naHQun:

jIHagh.  Since this is a grammar list I have a couple of suggestions...

>jIjatlh: <lengwI' SoH'a'? tlhIngan Hol DajatlhlaH'a'?>

Hmm... you're using {lengwI'} "rover (or traveller, voyager <g!>) for
"Trekkie/Trekker"?  Not bad.  The standard phrase of course would be *{Hov
leng ngotlhwI'} "Star Trek fan(atic)".  Translating slang is nearly
impossible and I'm not sure I could think of a better translation.  Maybe
the thoroughly ungrammatical Proechelism *{HovwI'}?  (FYI for the newcomers
on the List veteran Klingonist Glen Proechel advocated putting the verb
suffix {-wI'} on nouns "when needed".)

>je'wI' jatlh: <ghobe'. qatlh Daghel?>

Word order:  {jatlh je'wI': <<...>>}

I would say {qatlh bIghel?}  The question word {qatlh} "why" isn't the
object of {ghel} "ask (a question)".  Cf. {qatlh bIjatlh} ["Why do you say
(that)?" (untranslated at the beginning of PK).

>jIjatlh: <"*nextgenerationTKD*" 'oH *e-mail*lIj'e'.>

{Quv} "coordinates" is often used for an e-mail address or URL here on the
List.

>je'wI' jatlh: <moQbara' vIghojmoH. *TKD=tai kwan do*.>

You can say that last bit in Klingon if you want:

   *tai kwan do* 'oH <TKD>'e'.

or with so much DIvI' Hol this might work better:

   *tai kwan do* 'oS <TKD>.

using {'oS} "represent".  E.g.:

   toDuj 'oS rol
   A beard is a symbol of courage. TKW

   qorDu'Daj tuq 'oS Ha'quj'e' tuQbogh wo'rIv
   The sash that Worf wears is a symbol of his family's house. S20

   yay 'oS bey
   This yell is victorious in nature... S31

--
Voragh
Ca'Non Master of the Klingons

Back to archive top level