tlhIngan-Hol Archive: Mon Nov 21 16:44:56 2005

Re: I'm thankful for ...

QeS la' ([email protected])

jIghItlhpu', jIja':
>I think the impersonal, null-object version of {tlho'} captures the sense
>of "be thankful" very well - plus, you could use {-mo'} here on either a
>noun or a full sentence:
>   {qorDu'wIjmo' jItlho'}        "I'm thankful for my family"
>   {Soj 'ey wISoplaHmo' jItlho'} "I'm thankful that we can eat good food"

mujang Voragh, ja':
>Both good and the simplest solution, but don't forget we also have the
>homophonous noun {tlho'} "appreciation, gratitude".

You're right; I *had* forgotten.

>Although never used in canon, I'm tempted to use it with {ghaj} - on the
>model of {pIch vIghajbe'} "It's not my fault" (TKD) et al. - *{tlho'
>vIghaj}.  E.g.
>   ? qorDu'wIjmo' tlho' vIghaj.
>     I'm grateful for my family
>   ? qorDu'wIj vIghajmo' tlho' vIghaj.
>     I'm appreciative because I have my family
>Hmm... that last one sounds nice with the repetition of {vIghaj}, but YMMV.

As we know already, repetition is not as marked in Klingon as it is in
English. I think this is a very Klingon solution. majQa'.

Savan,

QeS la'
taghwI' pabpo' / Beginners' Grammarian

not nItoj Hemey ngo' juppu' ngo' je
     - Ubykh Hol vIttlhegh

REALESTATE: biggest buy/rent/share listings
http://ninemsn.realestate.com.au

Back to archive top level