tlhIngan-Hol Archive: Thu May 26 18:40:58 2005

More on Ray Charles (was Re: Subtle shadings of "then": Okrand's error ?)

QeS lagh ([email protected])

ja'pu' juDmoS:
>ghobe', Hoch ram SoHmo' jInaj 'e' DaSovbe' (no, you don't know that you
>cause me to dream every night)

jIjang:
>maj. For the original "You don't know the one who dreams of you at night" I
>would have done it a bit differently, but this is fine.

jang DloraH:
>The english implies that it is the person (which is doing the dreaming)
>that is not known.
>The klingon implies that it is the act of dreaming that is not known about.

True. As I said in my original correction, to be more faithful to the
original English I would have said something a bit different: {Hoch ram
SoHmo' najbogh nuv DaSovbe'} "you don't know the person who dreams because
of you every night", but I think the sentiment is pretty much the same
behind both versions.

I do notice that in the Klingon, {Hoch ram SoHmo' najbogh nuv DaSovbe'} is a
bit ambiguous: it could be either the dreaming or the knowing that takes
place every night. But I suppose the semantics only give one clear
interpretation in this context: when could you ever use "you don't know that
person every night"? <g>

Savan,

QeS lagh
taghwI' pabpo' / Beginners' Grammarian