tlhIngan-Hol Archive: Thu Jun 09 07:51:42 2005

Re: Klingon WOTD: quv (noun)

Steven Boozer ([email protected])

Holtej:
>Klingon word:   quv
>Part of Speech: noun
>Definition:     honor
>
>Synonyms: batlh

Se'noj tamwI':
> > I would seriously question whether its a synonym...

Se'noj is right:  They're not perfect synonyms; there is a slight=20
difference in usage.

lay'tel SIvten:
> >> Why?  Any examples?

There are many examples of both but, in brief, I've long argued that {quv=
}=20
was reputation/(personal) honor (the Asian idea of "face" if you will)=20
while {batlh} was Honor in general (i.e. honor with a capital "H").  The=20
key for me was that untranslated line at the beginning of "Power Klingon"=
:

   quvwIj DatIchpu', tera'ngan.
   [You have insulted my honor, Terran.] PK

IOW you defend your {quv} by dueling.  Cf. KGT (p.67):

   Dueling=AD-that is, challenging someone to a fight, usually to the
   death, over a matter of honor=AD-is a longstanding Klingon practice.

Maltz finally confirmed this interpretation in an article about the=20
vocabulary of honor, pseudo-honor, non-honor and dishonor in HolQeD 12.3 =
(p.9):

   All this talk of pseudohonor and nonhonor logically led to a discussio=
   of honor itself, normally expressed by the nouns {quv} and {batlh}, bo=
th
   usually defined as simply "honor". When asked to distinguish between t=
he
   two, Maltz said, "{tlhIngan Soj 'oH-=96not bIyaj,}" literally, "It is
   Klingon food=AD-you will not understand," using {Soj} "food" in its id=
io-
   matic sense of "matter, concern, affair". Nevertheless, he then went o=
n,
   though a bit begrudgingly, to say that {quv} was a sort of personal ho=
nor,
   the kind over which, by one's behavior, one has some control. This sor=
   of honor is earned, can be bestowed on one, and is associated with rep=
u-
   tation, dignity, and respect. {batlh}, on the other hand, is a grander=
,
   more general, more philosophical concept, associated with integrity,
   rectitude, scruples, and principles. Unfortunately, he didn't give
   examples or elaborate any further. He did add, however, that neither
   {quv} nor {batlh} was the same as {pop}, usually translated "reward" b=
ut
   sometimes translated "honor" in the sense of "token of esteem", that i=
s,
   formal recognition of an accomplishment or accomplishments.

That last bit refers to the proverb in TKW (p.47):

   pop 'oH ghob'e'
   Virtue is the reward.
   ["This proverb does not mean 'Virtue is honor.' The use of the word {p=
op}
     suggests that virtue is the honor bestowed as a result of acting in =
     manner respectful of society's values, not simply advocating them."

E.g. "He earned many honors during his long career."

--
Voragh
Ca'Non Master of the Klingons

Back to archive top level