tlhIngan-Hol Archive: Wed Jun 08 07:41:17 2005

Re: Klingon WOTD: Somraw (noun)

Steven Boozer ([email protected])

Voragh:
> > Never used in official canon, but I do have this comment from "Vixis"
> > admiring "Klaa" in the extra "making of" featurette on the ST5 DVD:
> >
> >   toH, SomrawDu' Dunqu'!
> >   Oh, what wonderful muscles!

lay'tel SIvten:
>Is there unofficial canon?  {jumlaw' neH}

Perhaps I should have said "unconfirmed" or "possible Okrandian canon".  I
suspect, but can't prove,  that Okrand came up with this when tutoring the
actors for the film.  Here's De'vID jonwI's post from May 2003 on the DVD
with a couple of my comments inserted:

     "Yesterday I had the occasion to view the extras on the Star Trek V
and VI special edition DVDs (on the second disks). I don't know if they've
already been discussed here, but there are some things that are of interest
to Klingonists. There's a short segment on the Star Trek VI disc on the
Klingon language in which Dr. Lawrence Schoen makes an appearance. There
are interviews with the actors who played Klingons on both discs. The one
on Star Trek V is called "That Klingon Couple" with the subtitle {tlhIngan
chang'engvetlh}. While their lines in Star Trek V had a few problems that
may annoy some Klingonists, the actors themselves had an excellent attitude
towards learning the Klingon and took it very quite seriously.  I was very
impressed with that aspect of things ... The most interesting thing for
Klingonists is probably the deleted scene in which some Klingon was spoken
by General Koord to Romulan Ambassador Caithlin Dar at Paradise City when
they first meet.
    "At one point, Spice Williams exclaims "Brilliant!" and the word
{chong!} is shown in the subtitle (all Klingon subtitles in this segment
are given in Roman font). At another point she is describing her reaction
to being hired for the movie, and says 'Wow, wow! For Star Trek! Omigosh!',
and the subtitle said {yay, yay! Hov lengvaD! baQa'!} (Okay, I'm sure {yay}
is a joke and isn't actually the Klingon way of saying wow. But it's cute.)
She describes a scene from the movie (near the end) by saying the line "Oh,
what wonderful muscles", and the subtitle was {toH, Somraw'Du' Dunqu'}.
(That's not a typo on my part, the <'> is there on *{Somraw'} in the
subtitle.)
    "Todd Bryant at one point asks Spice Williams if she remembers "that
{Hoch Dun puS} line", and the subtitle said {Hoch Dun puS}. Then she looked
up as if trying to remember it, and said something which was subtitled as
{'entepray' Hub patmey luchu'be'}. Was this line in the movie? I didn't
find it or a line like it in the movie, and I don't know if it's a deleted
line that she remembered, or if she misremembered a line and whoever did
the subtitles re-constructed it from what she said. (It does sound like
that's what she said. If she remembered a deleted line after all these
years then she has an amazing memory! A line like that--"They didn't
activate Enterprise's defense systems"--would be perfect near the end of
the movie when the Bird-of-Prey catches the Enterprise unawares.)

    [De'vID is right.  The full line shows up in Okrand's notes for ST5:

         'entepray' Hub patmey luchu'be'lu'pu'
         Enterprise defense systems are down.

     Cf. Lawrence Schoen's article in HolQeD 8.4 for more deleted Klingon
     lines.]

    "There's another deleted scene that was supposed to show that there was
a romantic relationship between Klaa and Vixis. Presumably they're speaking
Klingon in that scene, but unfortunately the commentary talks over it and
you can't hear what's being said. (Anyone know how to read lips in Klingon?)

     [Some of the deleted lines from an earlier draft of the script show up
      in the novelization.  For more on the deleted scenes from the movie,
      see http://www.geocities.com/phineasbg/st5deleted.html ]

    "I wonder who supplied the subtitles. Was Okrand, or someone from KLI,
involved in this? The subtitles are much better than the usual Paramount
attempts at Klingon done without Okrand's help, and the little joke using
{yay} to translate "wow" is quite characteristics of Okrand."

--
Voragh
Ca'Non Master of the Klingons

Back to archive top level