tlhIngan-Hol Archive: Thu Jul 28 09:02:09 2005

Re: New word #3

Steven Boozer ([email protected])

Holtej wrote:

>The word is {bop}, it's a verb meaning "be all about (something)."  So for
>example, {HolQeD bopbe' paqvam} "this book is not all about linguistics."

I think {bop} will get a lot of use here on the List, along with {Del}
"describe".  Now we can retire {qel} in examples like these which I've
collected over the years:

   ?DIvI' Hol qel paqvam
    This book is about Federation Standard. (Seqram)

   ?targhmey qeltaH paqvam
    This book is about targs. (source?)

   ?SuvwI'pu' lutmey qel paqvam
    This book is about warriors' stories. (source?)

   ?moQbara' qelbogh paq vIlaD
    I'm reading a book about Mok'bara. (peHruS)

{qel} "take into account, consider" was a poor fit.  I've always felt that
it should have a person as its subject since considering is a type of
thinking and books can't think.  (OK, maybe computers can think.)  E.g.:

   ?Qo'noSDaq ruStay qelbogh De' law' boStaH loDvetlh
    That man is collecting a lot of information about the bonding
    ritual on Kronos. (D.W. Morse [HQ 4.1])

   ?tlhIngan Hol wIqelnIS DIvI' Hol wIlo'taHvIS
    We post in English about Klingon. (source?)

Related words include {buS} "concentrate on, focus on, think only about";
{nga'chuq} "discuss, confer" and {ngach} "debate".

--
Voragh
Ca'Non Master of the Klingons

Back to archive top level