tlhIngan-Hol Archive: Wed Jul 27 15:49:12 2005

Re: New word #3

Eric Zay ([email protected]) [KLI Member] [Hol ghojwI']

What was the 1st word?

[email protected] wrote:
In a message dated 7/27/2005 5:09:38 PM Eastern Standard Time,
[email protected] writes:

> The word is {bop}, it's a verb meaning "be all about (something)." So for
> example, {HolQeD bopbe' paqvam} "this book is not all about linguistics."
>
> Here's the story:
>
> It was during the cabaret, and Krankor observed that it's difficult to
> *really* do the Hokey Pokey in Klingon without being able to say "and that's
> what it's all about." In years past, it's all sung in English, except for
> the actual names of the body parts. "You put your qIvon in, you put your
> qIvon out..." and so on.
>
> So Marc asked Krankor, if the word, were, say {bop}, how would you use it?
> Krankor replied that he'd say {'e' bop} "that's what it's all about." To
> which Marc responded, "that's what it is."
>
> So now we can really do the Hokey Pokey in Klingon. And *that's* what it's
> all about.
>
> --Holtej 'utlh

Hmmm, I was under the impression that {bop} means "to be about", without
'all'. Its use in the Hokey Pokey as "to be all about" was merely an extension of
its basic meaning.

lay'tel SIvten