tlhIngan-Hol Archive: Sun Jul 24 23:26:13 2005

Re: comparative as question

In a message dated 7/21/2005 12:51:19 PM Eastern Standard Time,
[email protected] writes:

> I see it as similar to the English
> >utterance "What do you want to drink, lemonade or beer?"
>
> No.  Unlike English "what" and "where", {nuq} and {nuqDaq} can't be used as
> a relative pronouns, only as as question words.  As a good rule of thumb,
> if you can substitute "which" for "what" without changing the meaning -
> e.g. "Which do you want, lemonade or beer?" - then "what" is a relative
> pronoun and you don't use {nuq}.

I disagree with the way you have stated this.  "Which" has more than one use.
 It can be a demonstrative interrogative adjective (e.g., "Which table is
larger?"), for which we cannot use {nuq}, and for which the imperative {yIngu'}
makes a viable substitute, as well as being one of the relative pronouns
('who(m)', 'which', 'that'; translated by {-bogh}), and which also cannot be
translated by {nuq}.  In your example, "Which do you want, lemonade or beer?",
"which" is the interrogative adjective, not the relative pronoun.  If it were a
relative pronoun here, what would it refer back to?

How's this:
"Is what (the thing which) you want lemonade , or is it the beer?"
*lemonade* 'oH'a' Doch'e' DaneHbogh?  HIq 'oH'a'?

lay'tel SIvten

Back to archive top level