tlhIngan-Hol Archive: Sun Jul 24 11:43:17 2005

qep'a'vo' jIchegh + new word #1

Tad Stauffer ([email protected]) [KLI Member] [Hol po'wI']

qep'a'vo' jIchegh. vItIv. DachwI'pu'vaD vIDellaHbe'; vaj wa' nem yIghoS.

For those keeping score at home, we received three new words at this
qep'a'. I'll save the other 2 for others to reveal; since I was lucky
enough to get to announce the first word, I'll describe what happened for it:

We were presenting the {qaDHom cha'}, in which everyone is given a card
with an unusual Klingon phrase, and tells a story about it or using it.
Since Lawrence's computer was broken and he couldn't make the cards in
advance, everyone in the audience got to make up their own sentence to
write on cards, including Marc Okrand. After everyone went through and
presented their story, there were still some cards left including Marc's,
so I volunteered to go again. After randomly choosing one of the cards, I
was of course boggled when I saw that the sentence had a new word on it,
and realized it was Marc's. After a minute or 3 of thinking, I told a story
that went something like this:

DuSaQDaq mI'QeD wIHaD jIH latlh ghojwI'pu' je. gho wIqel. [I draw a circle
on the dry erase board on the wall.] *chab* wISIm. [This of course being
the standard pi/pie pun.] loS Dop ghajbogh Doch wIqel. [I draw a square on
the board next to the circle.] chab wIqelmo', maghungchoH jIH latlhpu' je.
vaj megh wISopmeH mamej. 'ach macheghDI', ghungba' je loS Dop ghajbogh
Doch. gho Sopta'. [I re-draw the circle inside of the square, showing that
the square had eaten the circle.] meyrI'Daq 'oHtaH gho'e'.

The last sentence was the sentence from the card:
{meyrI'Daq 'oHtaH gho'e'} The circle is in the square.
Thus we now know the word {meyrI'} "square".

- taD

Back to archive top level