tlhIngan-Hol Archive: Thu Jul 14 08:22:41 2005

Re: *Japan* vIttlhegh

Steven Boozer ([email protected])

ter'eS:

>'utbe'chugh ghu' Qob 'ach Heghchugh vay', veqlargh qoH ghaHbej.
>He who perishes in needless danger is the devil's martyr.

I really like the phrase {veqlargh qoH} "Fek'lhr's fool" - wouldn't that
make a great title? - but {'ube'chugh ghu' Qob} is a bit wordy and you have
two conditional "if" clauses.  We can simplify this to:

   'utbe'taHvIS Qob Heghchugh vay', veqlargh qoH ghaH.

or using the verb {Qob} "be dangerous":

   Qobbe'DI' ghu' Heghchugh vay', veqlargh qoH ghaH.

Several proverbs refer sneeringly to {qoH neH} "only a fool."  Using these
as a model, we have:

   'utbe'taHvIS Qob Hegh veqlargh qoH neH.

   Hegh veqlargh qoH neH Qobbe'DI' ghu'.

As for the use of {-DI'} vs. {-taHvIS}, cf.:

   DopDaq qul yIchenmoH QobDI' ghu'
   Set fire on the side when there is danger. PK

>found in a comic called "Crayon Shinchan", a weirdly scatological strip
>(for kids?) about a Japanese Dennis the Menace.

I'm glad to see that I'm not the only one who mentally translates
miscellaneous phrases into Klingon!

--
Voragh
Ca'Non Master of the Klingons